The 23rd to the 25th February 2018 sees the return of the Swazi Xfest to the kayaking calendar. This year’s event will seek to optimise on water levels in both the Great Usutu (Lusutfu) catchment and the Komati River catchment. For this reason the get together will be based centrally in the Ezulwini Valley at Legends Backpacker Lodge in Ezulwini.
Accommodation is on a self-catering basis with options of camping, dormitories or private rooms. There is a 10% discount for all Swazi Xfest participants. Evenings will include some relaxed fun around the fire, with the 1st ever Swaziland Maganu Cocktail Competition. Legends is situated just 600m from a PnP, a Shoprite and a Woolies Food, so there is no need to pack like you’re going into the wilderness – remember your kayak, your deck, your PFD and helmet… and just let the rest follow.
The plan of attack is as follows:
Friday 23rd February 2018
11h00 – Check-in and pitch camp at Legends
14h00 – Depart for a quick-run of the Power Stations section of the Usutu – 30min drive to put-in, 2 – 3 hour paddle.
19h30 – Opening ceremony with formal national dress, march past with flags, speeches from dignitaries… hahaha (ok – joking – none of that bullshit – the bar will be open). Self-catering dinner.
Saturday 24th February 2018
08h00 Load and depart for Great Usutu River – Upper Bhunya section 45min drive to put-in
09h30 Head to head race on the 4-drop Gorge
10h30 Paddle through to Bhunya
14h30 Timed event on the Falls to bridge section
19h30 Big Braai and Maganu Cocktail Competition back at Legends
Sunday 25th February
08h00 Load and depart to Komati River 60min drive to put-in
14h00 Lunch and beers at Maguga Lodge
15h00 Depart Swaziland… or stay longer, for those without a normal day job.
So a few more logistical points, especially for those that haven’t been to Swaziland before.
- You need a passport
- If you bringing kids, make sure you have all the right documents for crossing the SA border (affidavits etc.)
- Don’t stress about vehicle documents… just don’t come in a stolen vehicle.
- There will be braai fires on all nights and there is a fridge, gas cooker, microwave and basic cutlery, crockery and utensils in the Legends kitchen
- On the Saturday night Legends will sponsor the pap, sauce and salads – just bring your own meat.
- For the Maganu Cocktail competition, Swazi Trails will sponsor 20 litres of the bestest and freshtest marula brew… just bring whatever secret ingredients and decorative bling that you wish to have to make a winning concoction.
- This is not a malarial area
- Legends has a bar facility, but there is no stress if you bring your own drinks.
- Rumour has it that Swazi Trails will be having a firesale of left-over booze from a corporate function – whiskey, brandy, wine and such-like… so keep your ears peeled for the details
- There is no need to book for camping – this can be done on arrival.
- There is probably also no need to book dormitory beds – there are at least 60 of these
- If you want a private room – of which there are only 10 still available – it would be better to book in advance to avoid disappointment – Legends Private Room booking – just put “Swazi Xfest 10% discount” down as a special request on your booking form so that the reservations team knows to discount your stay.
For more information please WhatsApp Darron 0n +268 76020832 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org